a happy holiday tail

holiday tail header

You can’t speak for the mice, but all the other creatures in your house are definitely stirring. In fact, if somebody knocked over the garbage to finish off those half-eaten brownies, I can almost guarantee that it wasn’t Santa. And the culprit doesn’t work alone. Over there, under the tree, his feline accomplice will dine on gift ribbons and irresistibly shiny ornaments. Happy Holidays, pet parents!

With so many tempting table scraps and festive décor to bite, bat and swallow, the holidays are an exciting and dangerous time for pets. That’s why Petplan vets recommend supervising your pets around these common holiday health hazards. So, this holiday season, to prevent the most expensive “gift” being a visit to the emergency vet, listen up:

The tree: It’s not your cat’s fault. You went outside, cut down a tree and brought it into the house just for him. He thinks you’d be upset if he didn’t swing from branches, bat at ornaments and chew on the lights. So common sense and supervision are key here: Unplug lights when you’re not around, and keep electrical cords out of sight and away from curious paws and jaws. Avoid glass decorations, as well as anything small enough to swallow. And don’t use tinsel; cats love to chew on it, but ingestion can cause intestinal obstruction (resulting in a very un-festive ER visit).

The gift ribbon: Your dog and cat won’t wait for Christmas. As far as they’re concerned, all the gifts under that tree are fair game. Unfortunately, ribbons are a very common and dangerous item for pets to ingest. Either don’t use ribbons, or hide beribboned gifts away until the 26th.

The chocolate: When it comes to chocolate and dogs, it doesn’t matter who’s naughty or nice. Even a little nibble can be toxic. Just make sure to offer those pup-safe treats your little elf deserves. After all, isn’t that what paw-shaped stockings are for?