Non-public personal information that Petplan may collect about you includes but is not limited to
- Information received from you either on-line, (such as through our website or our app) on the phone or by mail, facsimile or by any other means, such as your name, address, age, telephone number, social security number, assets, income, payment information or beneficiaries. It is possible that some of this information may be deemed to be “personal information,” which means data that can be used to identify you such as your name, address, Social Security number, e-mail address, or telephone number.
- Information regarding your transactions with us and or our affiliates such as policy coverage, premium, and payment history.
- Information from a consumer reporting agency or veterinary medical provider such as your credit history or your pet’s medical records.
- When it comes to using our website or our app certain information may be collected from you automatically when you access and use the website or our app, including through cookies, web beacons, web server logs and other means. This information may include: your name, shipping address, billing address, e-mail address, telephone number or any other identifier that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact or locate you, usage data (such as the unique number of visitors we receive, what pages are visited most often, and the navigation preferences and characteristics of our visitors. The website and app may also access metadata and other information associated with other files stored on your device
Information Petplan may disclose about you
- Petplan will not disclose any personal information with respect to a client except as is necessary in order to provide products or services to that client or otherwise as may be required or permitted by law. Although unlikely, sometimes claims information may include medical or health-related information about human beings also referred to as Protected Health Information (“PHI”), which is regulated and protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”). As such, whether it is PHI claim information or Nonpublic Personal Information (“NPI”) or Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”), the use of such information may be regulated by HIPAA, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”) or other federal and state privacy and information security laws. In that case we may share such information only with entities that agree to protect the privacy and security of such data as required by law.
- Petplan may disclose non-public information about you to our affiliates in order to meet your needs and to provide you with information regarding products and services offered by our affiliates. Petplan affiliates include but are not limited to our insurance carrier, our actuarial consultants, and others with whom we have joint marketing agreements that help us market our products.
- The type of information Petplan may disclose about you to our affiliates includes but is not limited to, identification information, account balance information, payment history, your pet’s medical history and any other relevant information that you provide to Petplan on your enrollment form or through any other means. Our affiliates are bound by similar privacy policies to ours to ensure that your privacy is protected.
- Petplan does not disclose your non-public information to nonaffiliated third parties except as permitted or required by law or if authorized by you personally.
- By enrolling your pet in the Petplan program, you consent to our sharing of this information among our affiliates in order to offer you the best possible level of care.
How Petplan uses your non-public information
- Petplan relies on the non-public information that you provide to offer you the best level of care available that is tailored to your needs. It allows Petplan to develop new products that better reflect your circumstances and to market those products to you in the most appropriate manner. We may also use information to offer you other products or services, to enhance and improve existing products or services, or to design new ones.
- Petplan uses your pet’s medical history for a number of reasons including, but not limited to, developing new products and services, supplying you with relevant medical research, administering your policy, processing your claims and underwriting your policy.
- Applications or other business information may be shared with business contacts such as insurers, business partners, program administrators, managing general agents, insurance producers, insurance brokers, actuaries, accountants, reinsurers and reinsurance brokers and legal counsel to facilitate Petplan’s business objectives. Regulators may also view applications or other business information in carrying out their regulatory responsibilities. Other information may be used in furtherance of Petplan’s routine business activities, including evaluating and underwriting policies, auditing, establishing pricing and other underwriting criteria, evaluating, processing, paying or rejecting claims, and other purposes authorized by law.
- The information that you provide to us is not sold to third-party data compilation services. If you do not want us to share this information, you are given the opportunity to decline, or you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us that you do not want us to share your information in such a manner.
- For residents of California and Delaware, California Bus. & Prof. Code § 22575 and 6 Del.C. § 1205C seek disclosure of how the website responds to web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personal information about their online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services. Although it is not clear that the statutes apply, we believe that an example might be a browser option allowing you to ask websites not to track you across third-party websites so that they can serve targeted or behavioral advertising to you. You should not use the website if you desire a “do not track” signal, because the website will not honor it.
- In addition to the above use, Petplan may share personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Petplan in the following limited circumstances: (a) to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) to enforce applicable Terms and Conditions of Use, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) to fulfill the purpose for which you provide the information; (d) for any purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; (e) to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (f) to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets or business, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal and other information held by Petplan about our users is among the assets transferred; or (g) to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of its users, or the public as required or permitted by law.
Petplan’s security and confidentiality procedures
- Petplan restricts access to your non-public personal information to Petplan employees and affiliates of Petplan, others who have a need to know that information in order to service a particular account or those that you have granted permission to receive such data through this policy or otherwise. Petplan also maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable laws and regulations to guard your personal information from unauthorized access, alteration or premature destruction.
- Important regulatory concerns tied to the Internet, system vulnerabilities, social engineering and the possibility of third-party negligence or malfeasance are all reasons why Petplan cannot guarantee that information will remain absolutely confidential at all times. Although we take precautions to secure your information and apply reasonable safeguards, your own secure best practices and that of any third-parties that you use are also essential to maintaining a secure environment. In addition, to the extent you provide or access information on Petplan’s systems through the use of a password, we encourage you to keep your password confidential and secure, as we cannot be responsible for acts resulting from the unauthorized use of your password or compromises to the security of your computers, networks or systems. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the website. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the website..
- You have the right to review and correct your personal information in Petplan’s possession, except for information relating to a claim or criminal or civil proceeding. If you have any questions we encourage you to contact us and we will be happy to answer any privacy questions that you may have.
Petplan and children’s privacy
- This site is not intended for use by children. We do not knowingly solicit information from children nor do we knowingly market our products to children. If we learn that personal information of a child under the age of 13 has been collected, we will delete that information from our systems.
Your choices and opting out
- When you quote or buy insurance on this site, we collect your e-mail address so that we can send you e-mails concerning your transactions with us, and other information we think you'll find useful. Petplan will contact you only if you elect to be contacted. If you choose to receive e-mail messages, Petplan may periodically send you e-mail messages describing updates, new features or promotional offers related to this web site. If you do not wish to receive informational e-mails, the only e-mail messages you will receive from Petplan will be in response to e-mail inquiries that you send us or e-mails regarding policy administration.
- To ensure you receive our e-mails, our service provider or we may receive confirmations when you open them or click through e-mail links. These confirmations may also show whether your e-mail application supports graphics, so we can tailor our messages to you.
- At any time, you can “opt-out” of receiving direct mail and marketing material from Petplan and our affiliates, such as product and service updates, by following the instructions included in your e-mail or by sending a reply stating your request, and we will make the requested changes.
Petplan policy and site content
- This site was designed to provide you with helpful information about our company's products. Information presented throughout the site is subject to policy terms conditions. In the unlikely event that there is any discrepancy between any information on this site and an actual insurance policy, the terms, conditions and limitations of our insurance policy will govern.
- Nothing on this website is intended or should be construed as a solicitation or offer to sell insurance products in any jurisdiction in which we are not properly licensed.
- Petplan has a number of security measures in place to ensure that your data is secure and encrypted. We use an industry standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption, to allow for the encryption of sensitive personal information such as name, address, credit card and bank account information you may be requested to provide online. If you are using a security-enabled web browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.0 or better, or Netscape Navigator 2.0 or better, the information you transmit to us is encrypted. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. Although Petplan strives to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products and services. These transmissions are undertaken at your own risk. Once we receive your personal information, however, we will endeavor to maintain its security on our systems.
- Petplan’s website undergoes daily website security tests through McAfee, a dedicated security technology company, and is a part of the Norton Secured Site Program, powered by Verisign, an identity and authentication security service. We want to make sure that your information is protected and that you are given the reassurance that every commercial effort is being made to make purchases through our website as safe as possible.
- Like many commercial Internet sites, the Petplan website uses "Cookies". "Cookies" are files we place in your computer's browser to store your preferences relating to our website, and to display information specific to you and may be used for targeted online advertising by Petplan and third party merchants on third party websites. To opt-out from our marketing platform’s persistent cookies click here. (please note that if you delete your cookies or switch to a different browser you will have to repeat this procedure). Use of the cookies by the marketing platforms is subject to their privacy policies. If you disable "cookies" on your browser, the site will not remember your preferences and you may not be able to access customized content that has been created for you. Additionally, you may have to manually enter promotional codes and other discount codes as they would have been automatically set as part of your customization. While the "cookie" file enables the site to label you as an individual user, "cookies", operating exclusively, do not reveal to us your e-mail address or other personally identifiable information. Only you can provide that information to us on our website if you choose to do so, or if your browser preferences are set to do so automatically. "Cookies" help us to understand your usage of our website, so we can continually improve its usability. For example, we may use "cookies" to personalize your experience, if you elect for us to do so, by remembering your account username on a log-in page. During the period you are logged into our site, we log IP addresses (a number assigned to your computer when you use the Internet), browser and platform types, domain name, access times, referral data (the last site or URL you visited before logging into our site and the first site or URL you visit after leaving our site) and your activity while using our site.
Links to external websites
- Petplan has established business relationships with third parties that allow visitors to link directly to sites operated by these third parties. Such links are provided solely for your convenience and are not maintained by or under the control of Petplan. We make no warranties or representations about other Web sites. We recommend that you read the privacy and security policies of these sites.
California privacy rights
- While California law applies only to California residents, we believe everyone should have the same privacy rights regardless of where you live. So our privacy tools are available to all of our users.
- The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the “CCPA”) provides California residents with rights to receive certain disclosures regarding the collection, use, and sharing of “Personal Information,” as well as rights to access, delete, and restrict the sale of Personal Information that Petplan may collect about our customers or visitors to the Site, effective January 1, 2020. The CCPA defines “Personal Information” as “information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.” “Personal Information” includes information that Petplan describes above as Personal Information, Non-public Personal Information, Personally Identifiable Information, and Protected Health Information, as well as information relating to your internet and network activities. If you are a California resident, you have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA. .
- Personal Information under the CCPA does not include deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Personal Information under the CCPA does not include information we collect in connection with the issuance of financial products or services to you that are to be used primarily for your personal, family, or household purposes and that is subject to the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”) or the California Financial Information Privacy Act. For example, where we provide you with a policy, or where we handle a claim from you as an individual. Note that this exclusion may not apply to all of your person-al information, including to personal information collected before you become a customer. Petplan will provide you with a separate GLBA privacy notice as required under applicable laws and regulations.
- Personal Information under the CCPA does not include publicly available information from government records.
- Collection and Use of Personal Information: Petplan collects various categories of Personal Information when you use the Site, including identifiers, commercial information, internet or other electronic network or device activity information, and geolocation data. A more detailed description of the information that Petplan has collected and the categories of sources from which Petplan collects that information are provided above. Also provided above is a statement about how Petplan uses your Personal Information, the categories of third par-ties with whom we share Personal Information, and what information is shared under different circumstances and for specific business purposes. In addition, Petplan generates inferences internally to help us understand how users interact with the Site, to develop and offer products and information, and to improve what we offer to users. Petplan will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the Personal Information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
- Disclosures to Third Parties for a Business Purpose: We limit disclosures of Personal Information for business purposes as described above.
- Right to Know and Right to Request Deletion of Personal Information: As of January 1, 2020, California residents have the right to request that we disclose what Personal Information we collect, use, and sell, as well as the right to request that we delete certain Personal Information that we have collected from you. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable request, we will disclose to you, based on the nature of your request: the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you; the categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you; our business or commercial purpose for collecting that information; the categories of third parties with whom we share that information; and/or, at your request, the specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you.
- Note that we may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- 1. Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our on-going business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- 2. Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- 3. Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- 4. Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- 5. Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- 6. Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- 7. Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- 8. Comply with a legal obligation.
- 9. Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
- If we deny your request, we will provide you with an explanation of our reason(s) for doing so.
- You may contact us by email, through the Site, by phone, or by mail as described below to make your request. An agent may submit a request on your behalf, but you must verify that your agent is authorized to do so.
- “Shine the Light”: Separate and apart from the CCPA, California’s Shine the Light law gives California residents the right to ask companies what personal information they share with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Petplan does not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their goods or services to you; however, if you would still like to make such a request or if you have questions, please contact us using the information below.
information please write to us at:
3805 West Chester Pike, Suite 240
Newtown Square, PA 19073